Tuesday 27 September 2016

Effects of Self-medication, by Chuka Francis

Chuka Amukamara "therapeutic advice to the world



                  Effects of Self-medication 



SAY NO TO SELF-MEDICATION!!! 



A very prevalent and deadly situation and  An attitude that has silently killed so many.

What is self-medication?

Self-medication is defined as the selection and use of medicines by individuals (or a member of the individuals' family) to treat self-recognized or self-diagnosed conditions or symptoms.

Potential risks of self-medication practices

°Incorrect self-diagnosis
° Delays in seeking medical advice when needed,   

° Infrequent but severe adverse reactions, 

° dangerous drug interactions

° Incorrect manner of administration

° Incorrect dosage

° Incorrect choice of therapy

° Masking of a severe disease

° Risk of dependence and abuse. 

° Resistance to therapy of microbes 


That you were prescribed ciprofloxacin last time for your typhoid,  and you felt better does not make ciprofloxacin the drug you run to whenever you feel symptoms that are likely found with typhoid.

My son complained of headache, and was given paracetamol, then at this my 65years of age, why hasn't this headache stopped, after I had taken paracetamol?   

Was that your doctors prescription for you? Do you not know that hypertension can present headache? Visit your doctor now before it enters a dangerous stage!   Self-medication!!! 

She takes piroxicam whenever she feels menstrual pain, and when I did same forgetting I had peptic ulcer disease, I almost died of crisis.

"Self-medication!! There is what's called "individualization" in pharmacy,  every individual has drug that's fit for their predicament. 

I was prescribed erythromycin for my sore throat, and the pharmacist demonstrated, I should  take it after every 12hours for 10 days, I followed the instruction up till 5dyas  and stopped taking the drug as I noticed the sore throat had disappeared, after two weeks, the sore throat came back with full force,  I went and bought erythromycin on my own, took it as he instructed before, but it never worked again, what should I do sir?
Now you have caused the streptococcus pyogenes to develop RESISTANCE over erythromycin, and a resistant strain caused the relapse,  it will cost you more now to treat this sore throat,  as new drug is required "self-medication"    

Last time I had malaria, he prescribed artemether/lumefantrine combination for me, I got better. Now I feel the malaria symptoms again and also feel anaemic,  I went and bought the normal artemether/lumefantrine combination, and a multivitamin formulation,  took them together,  but the malaria has refused to go, why?

"Self-medication!!!, you assumed the place of a professional and failed to act as a professional.  The antioxidants (Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and possibly Ginseng extract) in the multivitamin formulation had reduced the efficacy of the antimalarial medicine you took.

I was few weeks pregnant and visited my grandma,  there, I was feeling waist pain, and she gave me her prescribed "arthrotec"  (diclofenac+misoprostol), I took the medicine and the pain stopped, but later I realised I had lost the pregnancy, what happened?

You simply terminated the gestation,  Self-medication!!! 

I was having pains, and one of my workers asked me to get tramadol, I went to a patent chemist who gave me tramadol 100mg and asked me to take 2 caplets twice a day, look at me, dying in just first dose, I can't urinate, my heart beats more than 100 beats/min, I feel maniac, what should I do?

"Self-medication!!!  Thank God you were not killed by the "drug", next time,  you don't dwell on Self-medication 

I can't explain how this accident happened, I'm a good driver, how come?

Were you on any drug?

No!, I only bought and took piriton for my cough, 

Do you not know that chlorpheniramine and so many other medicines can make you feel drowsy and dizzy and that you should not drive nor use machinery while on any of those medicines? Self-medication!!!      

I had skin reaction, and I bought ampiclox,  ciprofloxacin and erythromycin, took them for very long time to ensure that my beautiful skin never experienced such again, later I started having odoriferous vaginal discharges which I have never seen before,  what caused it sir?

Do you not know that as a lady, you are not supposed to be exposed to antibiotics for a prolonged period,  now you have caused a gross depreciation to your vaginal flora and it lead to this secondary infection you feel now? Self-medication!!!  



Self-medication has been shown to cause 60% of disease cases suffered in Nigeria and has a very significant effect to drug resistance! 

You may deem it expensive to visit a health professional for a complain,  but the benefit outweighs the cost, because when the effect of your negligence is calculated "if reversible", you have the reason to avoid Self-medication. 

Live safe! Avoid Self-medication!!  

Subscribe to Health Medium International HMI  
For more health information and sponsored health outreach in your location,  

Send us email: healthmediuminternational@gmail.com
Or whatsapp via +2348032328932, +2347037937273
Facebook.com/healthmediuminternational




No comments:

Post a Comment